For process control, the most capable and extremely versatile series of X-ray spectrometers is the Thermo Scientific ARL 9900.
The patented technology allows for the combination of two different X-ray techniques in one instrument, which are X-ray diffraction (XRD) and X-ray fluorescence (XRF). These are the reasons for its versatility. This also allows the ARL 9900 to substitute for two separate instruments, making it an extremely powerful tool.
The ARL 9900 is able to detect as many as 83 elements, and it enables accurate and fast solid sample analysis of varying kinds. It has a wide variety of options which enable it to be suited to any particular process control application, along with a modular construction.
Its installation requirements are simple and most industrial environments can accommodate for them. Courtesy of a great degree of digital control and automation, the ARL 9900 is convenient to use.
The following constitute the salient features of the ARL 9900 IntelliPower:
- Adjustable to the demands of the application, there is a choice of generator power: 1200 W, 2500 W, or 4200 W.
- Without requiring external water cooling, the technology of IntelliPower enables operation at 1200 W and 2500 W.
- The combination of two X-ray technologies together in one instrument brings convenience, productivity, and versatility.
- It has the ability to detect and analyze as many as 83 elements from ppm levels to 100%, depending on the configuration.
- The instrument can be specified in order to suit the application’s specific requirements, courtesy of its modular construction.
- Contains unique WDXRF fixed channel and sequential capabilities, like quantitative XRD analysis for all analytical needs.
- A sample introduction system is included which is fast, easy, and extremely reliable.
- The instrument is able to adapt to changing analytical requirements as it is easily upgradable.
- Online process control is possible as it can be linked to automatic sample preparation machines.
- These instruments are successors to the highly successful and proven ARL 9800 range.
ARL 9900 IntelliPower Applications
The ARL 9900 series’ applications are:
- Metals: sinters, slags, magnesium, titanium, copper, aluminum, iron, steel, and their alloys.
- Mining: beach sands, limestone, minerals, and ores.
- Refractories and others.
A great number of elements can be detected by the ARL 9900. The instrument can be closely tailored to its intended use courtesy of its modular design. The following can be used to configure the instrument:
- As many as 32 fixed monochromators for speed analysis.
- As many as three goniometers programmed in order to analyze specific elements (standard-less and quantitative analysis). These can also detect the elements present in a given sample by scanning the X-ray spectrum (semi-quantitative and quantitative analysis).
- For phase analysis in process control, there is the compact integrated X-ray diffraction system.