South Africa's ANC Wants 60% of Anglo American

The African National Congress Youth League President hopes to gain 60% of the Anglo American mining company in South Africa. Julius Malema said that what Anglo American did with the other 40% was their own business at a gala dinner on Friday in Nelspruit. He also responded to the query about nationalization of mines in the nation by saying that it would happen in his lifetime.

He was speaking to companies controlled by whites and not sharing enough wealth with blacks when he said share that delicious piece of cake. Don’t eat it all alone! He was received with loud applause. It has been Malema’s suggestion that the nationalization of mines will help reduce the current unemployment problem being faced by the black youth in South Africa.

Malema added that when Anglo American had agrees to give 51% of its mining interests to black people in Botswana why don’t they want to do it in South Africa. His supporters applauded his sentiment that political freedom was useless without economic freedom. He said that they were now economic freedom fighters. Adding that they did not have to apologize or be shy about this struggle.

The man has single-handedly speared the nationalization debate forward in the ANC. Considering that the country has the world’s largest mineral reserves nationalization will affect more than one foreign company currently functioning there. Many ANC leaders do not agree with the nationalization policy that he advocates.

Joel Scanlon

Written by

Joel Scanlon

Joel relocated to Australia in 1995 from the United Kingdom and spent five years working in the mining industry as an exploration geotechnician. His role involved utilizing GIS mapping and CAD software. Upon transitioning to the North Coast of NSW, Australia, Joel embarked on a career as a graphic designer at a well-known consultancy firm. Subsequently, he established a successful web services business catering to companies across the eastern seaboard of Australia. It was during this time that he conceived and launched News-Medical.Net. Joel has been an integral part of AZoNetwork since its inception in 2000. Joel possesses a keen interest in exploring the boundaries of technology, comprehending its potential impact on society, and actively engaging with AI-driven solutions and advancements.

Citations

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Anglo American Plc. (2019, March 19). South Africa's ANC Wants 60% of Anglo American. AZoMining. Retrieved on February 25, 2024 from https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3656.

  • MLA

    Anglo American Plc. "South Africa's ANC Wants 60% of Anglo American". AZoMining. 25 February 2024. <https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3656>.

  • Chicago

    Anglo American Plc. "South Africa's ANC Wants 60% of Anglo American". AZoMining. https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3656. (accessed February 25, 2024).

  • Harvard

    Anglo American Plc. 2019. South Africa's ANC Wants 60% of Anglo American. AZoMining, viewed 25 February 2024, https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3656.

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Your comment type
Submit
Azthena logo

AZoM.com powered by Azthena AI

Your AI Assistant finding answers from trusted AZoM content

Azthena logo with the word Azthena

Your AI Powered Scientific Assistant

Hi, I'm Azthena, you can trust me to find commercial scientific answers from AZoNetwork.com.

A few things you need to know before we start. Please read and accept to continue.

  • Use of “Azthena” is subject to the terms and conditions of use as set out by OpenAI.
  • Content provided on any AZoNetwork sites are subject to the site Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
  • Large Language Models can make mistakes. Consider checking important information.

Great. Ask your question.

While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses. Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for medical information you must always consult a medical professional before acting on any information provided.

Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their privacy principles.

Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential information.

Read the full Terms & Conditions.