Posted in | News | Coal

$50,000 Incentive for Miners to Settle Down in Moranbah

The employees of the mining company Anglo American are getting cash incentives to settle down in Moranbah QLD Australia.

The staff at the Moranbah North mine, owned by Anglo American, are being offered a $50,000 cash incentive to buy or build a home in the town. The mine is located south west of Mackay.

The announcement came as the residents of Moranbah prepared to meet tonight to oppose another mining company's plan to have miners fly in and out of town to work on a new mine located near the town. The residents of the town in Queenland's Central Highlands want the new mining community to integrate with the existing community to allow all to grow and prosper together.

Issac Mayor Cedric Marshall said that they would love to see more families living in Moranbah. He also threw down a challenge to other mining companies to show similar support levels to the other mining towns in the region.

The "fly in and fly out" mine workers do little for the local community and they see no money being infused into the town's economy. Opportunities for the youth of the mining towns are also limited. To grow the community needs the support of the mining industry.

Moranbah North is an underground longwall mining operation which began operating in 1998. Moranbah North is located in the northern part of the Bowen Basin in Central Queensland, 15 kilometres north of Moranbah township and 150 kilometres south west of Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal at Hay Point. It is about a two-hour drive from the coastal city of Mackay.

Moranbah North is 88% owned by Anglo American, with the remaining 12% owned by joint venture partners Nippon Steel, Mitsui Coal, Shinsho Australia, NS Resources and Kokan Kogyo. The mine is operated and managed by Anglo American.

Joel Scanlon

Written by

Joel Scanlon

Joel relocated to Australia in 1995 from the United Kingdom and spent five years working in the mining industry as an exploration geotechnician. His role involved utilizing GIS mapping and CAD software. Upon transitioning to the North Coast of NSW, Australia, Joel embarked on a career as a graphic designer at a well-known consultancy firm. Subsequently, he established a successful web services business catering to companies across the eastern seaboard of Australia. It was during this time that he conceived and launched News-Medical.Net. Joel has been an integral part of AZoNetwork since its inception in 2000. Joel possesses a keen interest in exploring the boundaries of technology, comprehending its potential impact on society, and actively engaging with AI-driven solutions and advancements.

Citations

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Anglo American Plc. (2019, February 18). $50,000 Incentive for Miners to Settle Down in Moranbah. AZoMining. Retrieved on February 25, 2024 from https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=418.

  • MLA

    Anglo American Plc. "$50,000 Incentive for Miners to Settle Down in Moranbah". AZoMining. 25 February 2024. <https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=418>.

  • Chicago

    Anglo American Plc. "$50,000 Incentive for Miners to Settle Down in Moranbah". AZoMining. https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=418. (accessed February 25, 2024).

  • Harvard

    Anglo American Plc. 2019. $50,000 Incentive for Miners to Settle Down in Moranbah. AZoMining, viewed 25 February 2024, https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=418.

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Your comment type
Submit
Azthena logo

AZoM.com powered by Azthena AI

Your AI Assistant finding answers from trusted AZoM content

Azthena logo with the word Azthena

Your AI Powered Scientific Assistant

Hi, I'm Azthena, you can trust me to find commercial scientific answers from AZoNetwork.com.

A few things you need to know before we start. Please read and accept to continue.

  • Use of “Azthena” is subject to the terms and conditions of use as set out by OpenAI.
  • Content provided on any AZoNetwork sites are subject to the site Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
  • Large Language Models can make mistakes. Consider checking important information.

Great. Ask your question.

While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses. Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for medical information you must always consult a medical professional before acting on any information provided.

Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their privacy principles.

Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential information.

Read the full Terms & Conditions.