The confined space within any underground mine can allow for an unsafe accumulation of significant concentrations of both gases and particles, that form as a result of both natural and equipment-related processes. As a result of the potential threat to workers’ health that these gas and particle concentrations pose, many mining applications, therefore, require a multi-gas instrument for their daily operation.
Some of the most commonly requested sensors for mining applications include those capable of detecting and measuring CH4, O2, CO, NO2, and H2S, the specific requirements of any given mine can vary based on the specific mining task being conducted. As a result, numerous configurations to these sensors exist, some of which include:
- Coal Mining:
- MSHA requires O2, CO and CH4 to be monitored continuously, therefore these sensors must be present in all coal mines.
- NO2 sensors may be added, depending upon the specific application.
- Metal/Non-Metal Mining:
- LEL or CH4, O2 and CO are commonly required for these mining applications.
- NH3, HCN, H2S, NO2 and SO2 sensors may also be added, depending upon the specific hazards associated with the given mining application.
- Note that NO2 sensors are required if diesel-powered equipment is being used.
Key Features of the Ventis® Pro Series
- Flexible configurations available for multiple mining purposes, some of which include:
- Seal checks
- Personal protection
- Fire bossing.
- Simplified instrument allows for improved ease-of-use
- Significant reductions in associated instrument costs
- Lightweight, compact and easy-to-use suspender clip allows these instruments to be comfortable and wearable for any mining worker without risking any potential interferences with daily tasks.
- Dual-range methane sensor:
- Replaces the need to use two sensors
- Meets MSHA* requirements for methane detection according to the following parameters:
- 0−5% for personal protection (resolution is 0.01%)
- 5−100% for seal checks using a single dual-range methane sensor (resolution is within the 5-100% range)
- All Ventis® Pro Series instruments are backed by the Guaranteed for LifeTM warranty program while also exceeding the mining industry’s needs for a rugged instrument.
- Water, dirt and dust resistant
- All instruments have the highest level of protection from damage that can be caused as a result of dust and/or dirt contamination.
- Instruments can be submerged in water depths of up to 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) for one hour.
- IP68 rating
- Temperatures operating ranging: -40 °C to 50 °C (-40 °F to 122 °F)
- Impact resistant
- All instruments are designed to pass industry drop tests
- All instruments exceed the requirements set by both the 30 CFR Section 22.7(d)(3) and EN60079-0.
- The rubber overmold edges provide a unique resistance of these instruments to both peeling and tearing.
- Equipped with an alarm system that warns nearby workers of potential hazards.
- Equipped with iAssignTM Technology
- Streamlines the process of assigning sites and/or users
- Assignments can be made rapidly at any remote location.
- By simplifying the assignment process, both user and site data is easy to collect and analyze once projects have been completed.
- Easy to service
- Easy to replace sensors
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be easily changed if necessary
- External dust filters can be peeled off when dirty and quickly replaced.
- Compatible with both DSXTM Docking Stations and V-CalTM Calibration Stations.
- Customizable to meet specific operator needs
- Can be configured for a wide variety of purposes, ranging from allowing experts in perform gas detection procedures or just allow an operator to immediately detect a potential issue.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Industrial Scientific.
For more information on this source, please visit Industrial Scientific.