Geological Field Techniques
The understanding of Earth processes and environments over geological time is highly dependent upon both the experience that can only be gained through doing fieldwork, and the collection of reliable data and appropriate samples in the field.
This textbook explains the main data gathering techniques used by geologists in the field and the reasons for these, with emphasis throughout on how to make effective field observations and record these in suitable formats. Equal weight is given to assembling field observations from igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rock types. There are also substantial chapters on producing a field notebook, collecting structural information, recording fossil data and constructing geological maps. The volume is in a robust and handy size, with colour coded chapters for ease of use and quick reference in the field.
This textbook is designed for students, amateur enthusiasts and professionals who have a background in geology and wish to collect field data on rocks and geological features. Teaching aspects of this textbook include:
- step-by-step guides to essential practical skills such as using a compass-clinometer, drawing a geological map and making a field sketch;
- tricks of the trade, checklists, flow charts and short worked examples;
- over 200 illustrations of a wide range of field notes, maps and geological features;
- appendices with the commonly used rock description and classification diagrams;
- a supporting website hosted by Wiley Blackwell.
Click here for further information
While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena
answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses.
Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or
authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for
medical information you must always consult a medical
professional before acting on any information provided.
Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with
OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their
Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential
Read the full Terms & Conditions.