Posted in | News | Mining Business

Sherritt International Executes Earn-in Agreement with Rio Tinto

Sherritt International Corporation (TSX:S) today announced it has executed an earn-in and shareholders agreement with a subsidiary of Rio Tinto Limited whereby Sherritt will acquire an interest in the Sulawesi Nickel Project in Indonesia.

Subject to satisfaction of certain conditions, Sherritt will acquire a controlling 57.5% equity interest in the holding company that owns the Sulawesi Project, and Rio Tinto will continue to hold the remaining 42.5%. Sherritt has been appointed as the Operator and will license its commercially-proven, proprietary technology to the Project. As consideration for its interest, Sherritt has committed to fund US$110 million towards producing a feasibility study from which a development decision will be made.

In compliance with Indonesia's Mining Law, local Indonesian interests are expected to acquire a 20% interest in the Project. Following that event, Sherritt and Rio Tinto together will indirectly own and control an 80% interest in the Sulawesi Project, which will give Sherritt a controlling interest and a 46% economic interest with Rio Tinto maintaining a 34% economic interest.

The Sulawesi Project currently ranks as one of the largest known undeveloped, greenfield lateritic nickel deposits in the world. Ian W. Delaney, Sherritt's Chairman and CEO commented, "The Sulawesi Project is a truly impressive, high quality lateritic nickel resource. With 60 years of technological expertise in lateritic solutions, 50 years of operational experience in Canada and Cuba, and most recently, its project experience in the development of the Ambatovy Project in Madagascar, Sherritt is uniquely positioned to help move the Sulawesi Project forward. We will begin process development and further delineation of the resource immediately."

About the Sulawesi Project

The Sulawesi Project is located in the Southeast and Central Sulawesi provinces on the island of Sulawesi in the Republic of Indonesia. Based on exploration completed to date, the Project includes a large, high grade resource potentially richer than Ambatovy. Identification of further mineralization will be achieved through additional exploration and completion of feasibility studies.

Source: Sherritt International Corporation

Citations

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Sherritt International Corporation. (2019, February 18). Sherritt International Executes Earn-in Agreement with Rio Tinto. AZoMining. Retrieved on December 08, 2021 from https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1789.

  • MLA

    Sherritt International Corporation. "Sherritt International Executes Earn-in Agreement with Rio Tinto". AZoMining. 08 December 2021. <https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1789>.

  • Chicago

    Sherritt International Corporation. "Sherritt International Executes Earn-in Agreement with Rio Tinto". AZoMining. https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1789. (accessed December 08, 2021).

  • Harvard

    Sherritt International Corporation. 2019. Sherritt International Executes Earn-in Agreement with Rio Tinto. AZoMining, viewed 08 December 2021, https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1789.

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Submit