Posted in | News | Coal

Resgen Granted 30 Year Mining Right at Boikarabelo

Resource Generation (Resgen) is developing South Africa’s largest remaining coal deposit. It announced on Thursday that its joint venture at Ledjada had been granted a 30 year mining right for its Boikarabelo mine in South Africa.

The managing director of Resgen Paul Jury saw this as a major step in the development of the mine which hopes to start production in 2013.  He added that they expected the mining right to facilitate the discussions with Eskom about coal supply to its power stations and with Transnet about transport to domestic customers and ports.

Resgen’s share in the joint venture is 74%. The remaining 26% is with Fairy Wing Trading or FWT. FWT is a company owned by South African business persons who have strong commercial and government relations. The 26% of the Ledjada joint venture was previously owned by the BEE or the Black Economic Empowerment.

The Boikarabelo coal mine has 6.4 billion tonnes of resources with a 120 meter thick coal seam at a relatively shallow depth of merely 20-35 meters. Of this there is a probable reserve of 745 million tonnes of thermal coal. The rest will be soft coking coal. The mine is ideally suited for low cost, open- cut mining.

Joel Scanlon

Written by

Joel Scanlon

Joel relocated to Australia in 1995 from the United Kingdom and spent five years working in the mining industry as an exploration geotechnician. His role involved utilizing GIS mapping and CAD software. Upon transitioning to the North Coast of NSW, Australia, Joel embarked on a career as a graphic designer at a well-known consultancy firm. Subsequently, he established a successful web services business catering to companies across the eastern seaboard of Australia. It was during this time that he conceived and launched News-Medical.Net. Joel has been an integral part of AZoNetwork since its inception in 2000. Joel possesses a keen interest in exploring the boundaries of technology, comprehending its potential impact on society, and actively engaging with AI-driven solutions and advancements.

Citations

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Resource Generation. (2019, February 18). Resgen Granted 30 Year Mining Right at Boikarabelo. AZoMining. Retrieved on February 22, 2024 from https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3978.

  • MLA

    Resource Generation. "Resgen Granted 30 Year Mining Right at Boikarabelo". AZoMining. 22 February 2024. <https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3978>.

  • Chicago

    Resource Generation. "Resgen Granted 30 Year Mining Right at Boikarabelo". AZoMining. https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3978. (accessed February 22, 2024).

  • Harvard

    Resource Generation. 2019. Resgen Granted 30 Year Mining Right at Boikarabelo. AZoMining, viewed 22 February 2024, https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=3978.

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Your comment type
Submit
Azthena logo

AZoM.com powered by Azthena AI

Your AI Assistant finding answers from trusted AZoM content

Azthena logo with the word Azthena

Your AI Powered Scientific Assistant

Hi, I'm Azthena, you can trust me to find commercial scientific answers from AZoNetwork.com.

A few things you need to know before we start. Please read and accept to continue.

  • Use of “Azthena” is subject to the terms and conditions of use as set out by OpenAI.
  • Content provided on any AZoNetwork sites are subject to the site Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
  • Large Language Models can make mistakes. Consider checking important information.

Great. Ask your question.

While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses. Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for medical information you must always consult a medical professional before acting on any information provided.

Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their privacy principles.

Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential information.

Read the full Terms & Conditions.