Posted in | News | Copper | Mining Business

Lundin Mining Advises Shareholders to Reject Equinox Bid

Ludin Mining has asked its shareholders to reject the Canadian $4.7 billion bid made by Equinox Minerals saying that the offer is under valuing the company and is considered too uncertain. Ludin Mining said that the debt financed takeover bid from the company was financially inadequate and highly risky.

Equinox Minerals would need to take a $ 3.2 billion loan on partially undisclosed terms to make the takeover bid a reality. While its main asset is the Lumwana copper mine in Zambia and its production forecasts are good the debt would make the deal risky. Lumwana is one of the largest new copper mines that has been developed in recent years. Equinox Minerals gave no response to Ludin Mining’s recommendation to its shareholders.

The Vancouver based company, Ludin Mining is already in talks with Inmet Mining to create a new base metals company by the name of Symterra. Under the current terms of the deal Inmet Mining would hold 53% of the new company formed and Ludin Mining the remaining 47%. The approval of two thirds of the shareholders of both companies is still required to make it official.

Ludin Mining operates in Portugal, Spain and Sweden besides the Democratic Republic of Congo. It produces copper, nickel, lead and zinc. On the other hand Inmet Mining, which has projects operational in Turkey, Spain and Finland, tends to produce copper, zinc and gold. The two companies when merged will make a very strong and viable entity.

Joel Scanlon

Written by

Joel Scanlon

Joel relocated to Australia in 1995 from the United Kingdom and spent five years working in the mining industry as an exploration geotechnician. His role involved utilizing GIS mapping and CAD software. Upon transitioning to the North Coast of NSW, Australia, Joel embarked on a career as a graphic designer at a well-known consultancy firm. Subsequently, he established a successful web services business catering to companies across the eastern seaboard of Australia. It was during this time that he conceived and launched News-Medical.Net. Joel has been an integral part of AZoNetwork since its inception in 2000. Joel possesses a keen interest in exploring the boundaries of technology, comprehending its potential impact on society, and actively engaging with AI-driven solutions and advancements.


Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Scanlon, Joel. (2019, March 19). Lundin Mining Advises Shareholders to Reject Equinox Bid. AZoMining. Retrieved on September 30, 2023 from

  • MLA

    Scanlon, Joel. "Lundin Mining Advises Shareholders to Reject Equinox Bid". AZoMining. 30 September 2023. <>.

  • Chicago

    Scanlon, Joel. "Lundin Mining Advises Shareholders to Reject Equinox Bid". AZoMining. (accessed September 30, 2023).

  • Harvard

    Scanlon, Joel. 2019. Lundin Mining Advises Shareholders to Reject Equinox Bid. AZoMining, viewed 30 September 2023,

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Your comment type