Posted in | News | Coal

Leighton Wins Huge Indian Coal Contract

Leighton Holdings Ltd. has won a 20 year contract in India. Thiess, a subsidiary of Leighton Holdings, will develop a $5.5 billion coal mine contract in Pakri Barwadih, Jharkhand in east India.

The contract was awarded by the NTPC formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation. It will involve mining 300 million metric tons of coal in one of the most resource rich states in India. Leighton hopes to secure a foothold in the booming coal sector in India via this mine.

After the announcement made on Thursday the shares in the company opened Friday at $32.60. The mine will be a joint venture with Minecs Finvest Private Ltd. They will own 10% while Thiess will own the remaining 90% of the joint venture company.

The mine is expected to have a life of 22 years with an annual production of 15 million tonnes. This will be the first of six mines that NTPC will develop to reduce the dependency of India on imported coal.

Joel Scanlon

Written by

Joel Scanlon

Joel relocated to Australia in 1995 from the United Kingdom and spent five years working in the mining industry as an exploration geotechnician. His role involved utilizing GIS mapping and CAD software. Upon transitioning to the North Coast of NSW, Australia, Joel embarked on a career as a graphic designer at a well-known consultancy firm. Subsequently, he established a successful web services business catering to companies across the eastern seaboard of Australia. It was during this time that he conceived and launched News-Medical.Net. Joel has been an integral part of AZoNetwork since its inception in 2000. Joel possesses a keen interest in exploring the boundaries of technology, comprehending its potential impact on society, and actively engaging with AI-driven solutions and advancements.

Citations

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Scanlon, Joel. (2019, March 19). Leighton Wins Huge Indian Coal Contract. AZoMining. Retrieved on April 16, 2024 from https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1799.

  • MLA

    Scanlon, Joel. "Leighton Wins Huge Indian Coal Contract". AZoMining. 16 April 2024. <https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1799>.

  • Chicago

    Scanlon, Joel. "Leighton Wins Huge Indian Coal Contract". AZoMining. https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1799. (accessed April 16, 2024).

  • Harvard

    Scanlon, Joel. 2019. Leighton Wins Huge Indian Coal Contract. AZoMining, viewed 16 April 2024, https://www.azomining.com/News.aspx?newsID=1799.

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Your comment type
Submit

While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses. Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for medical information you must always consult a medical professional before acting on any information provided.

Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their privacy principles.

Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential information.

Read the full Terms & Conditions.